I’m realizing that if I’m going to be a media wonk, I’m going to have to learn to navigate a new set of conferences and publication venues. At a colloquium this evening, Professors mentioned a few variables related to strategies for networking, creating panels, and filling the CV, as well as the following institutions. I’d like to annotate and order them according to relevance once I’m more informed.
- Media Ecology Association (MEA)
- National Communications Association (NCA)
- The Eastern Communication Association (ECA)
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- International Association of Mass Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS)
- American Studies Association (ASA)
- Popular Culture Association (PCA)
- Western Social Science Association (WSSA), supposedly student friendly.
- Organization of American Historians
- American Anthropology Association (AAA)
- Association of Internet Researchers (AOIR)
- International Society for Ethics and Information Technology (INSEIT)
- Journal of Communication
- Critical Studies in Media Communication
- Media, Culture and Society
- Theory and Society
- New Media and Society
- Ethics and Information Technology
In addition, it’s recommended that one join the ECCR mailist.