it finally hit me. There is a living, breathing human being who is reading this shit. I am attacking someone who never harmed me in any way. —Lindy West’s cruelest troll
- an apple in a rotting barrel is likely to go bad
- so is someone in a rotten subreddit
- measures of sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism are positively correlated with trolling
- strong relationship between “online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and trolling behavior and identity” (BuckelsTrapnellPaulhus (2014))
- media: assume good faith, the person may not appreciate they are being awful
- culture: don’t feed the trolls and no chum for the haters; engage in responsible forums with pro-social norms and moderation
- personality: avoid and report
Take it seriously, but don’t freak out. When I was partially DOXed, I didn’t expect anything, but I told campus police.
- I have not addressed issues specific to hate of women, persons of color, religions, sexuality and gender identity, etc.
- See the Online Harassment Resource Guide for a more thorough review of the research.
Thanks for listening!