This is primarily for documenting practices in facilitating difficult discussions in a less than formal, academic, and one-time setting. There are lots of resources on more formal facilitation in standing groups or civic bodies.
- Define the scope:
- What are the objectives?
- Explain that some topics are off the table and why.
- Priority queue
- good for 20-50 people
- people raise their hands
- their position is pointed/counted out by the facilitator (e.g., "Sally is 1, Betty is 2, the person in the back in red is 3").
- queue might be shaped to favor perspectives not yet expressed or those who've not yet spoken.
- Note cards
- good for 30+ people
- at the start people are handed a note card
- during Q&A note cards are passed forward and used for discussion