While I was home for the holidays, I read a book of my brother received for the holidays: What Should I Do With My Life by Po Bronson. A great book for those -- and this includes nearly everyone I know -- who confronts the big question of what to do with your life, some notes:
- Be judged by those you respect, not hate.
- Putting one's dream in a lock box and making fuck you money doesn't seem to work.
- Don't confuse the intensity/stress related to one's work with passion.
- Looking for inspiration and direction in religion doesn't satisfy the impulse, people with a strong faith but an unsatisfying job still want a more compelling job.
- Boom Wranglers are always looking for the next high; Phi Beta Slackers are those that hop between grad schools, corporate gigs, and fellowships looking as if they have their act together but still feeling like observers.